Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lesson learned

We went to the zoo for the Children's Hospital activities. It was hot, very, very hot. I was irritable, very, very irritable. However, we did most of the things and the girls had a very good time.

We came to the speech display and they had a communicative device. I'm not sure what it was but it was not a Dynavox. The girls could touch it and play with it. Ellie did without a problem but Lauren refused to. She would have nothing to do with it which really surprised me as Lauren usually needs to touch everything and anything.

I asked her why and she looked at me and said "It not mine. It Elli's" I said "no Ellie just had her turn it's Ok". She looked and me and said "No, Elli talk that way".

I got it then. She wasn't talking about her sister. She was talking about our friend Elli who used her Dyavox to communicate. Lauren had always been fascinated by it and wanted to push all the pictures as well. I was always telling her that it belonged to Elli and that's how Elli talked. I guess she got it.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I love that she remembers Elli so well. :)