Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kind-Hearted Lauren

Sometimes, just getting through the day with Lauren is a struggle. I tend to dwell on the negative. I tend to dwell on the things she can't do; instead of focusing on the things she's learning and how far she has come.

One thing that I have always known is that Lauren has a kind heart. She loves people and loves to make people happy. Last weekend, we went to visit my mother in law. We had made apple cinnamon muffins for breaskfast before we left and had two left over. Lauren wrapped them up with a paper towel and put them in a container. I asked her what she was doing and she said "bringing them to Mamaw. She loves muffins".

Earlier this month, Lauren had a doctor appointment. I had to leave from work so Bob and the kids met me at the office. The plan was that Ellie and Shannon would go home from with Bob. Ellie was tired and hadn't seen me all day. She started crying that she wanted to stay. I normally would have let her but I had things I needed to discuss with the doctor and it would be too difficult with Ellie. The nurse told her that if she went home, I would bring her a sticker.

We never found that nurse after the appointment and so I left. I had forgotten about the stickers. Lauren, however, remembered. She cried the entire way home. I first thought she was crying because she didn't get a sticker. She wasn't. She was crying because Ellie needed a sticker and she didn't have one to bring her.

No comments: